Types of Temporary Registrations & How to Get Them
Under certain circumstances, County Treasurers are allowed to issue temporary registrations on vehicles. These temporaries are different than the temporaries that dealerships issue and have specific requirements. One requirement is that your sales tax must be paid before any temporary is issued.
County treasurers are allowed to sell a 30-, 60- or 90-day temporary registration under the following circumstances:
- Following the purchase of a vehicle - The temporary would expire 30, 60 or 90 days from the date of purchase. Purchaser must provide a current registration or copy of properly executed title indicating proof of seller having ownership or a notarized bill of sale and proof of insurance.
- Only one temporary registration may be issued to any vehicle in a 12 month period. Therefore, if any temporary is issued from the Treasurer's Office, once it expires it cannot be extended and a second temporary can not be issued until one year from the temporary expiration.
- Residents with current or expired Wyoming plates cannot obtain a temporary for their vehicles.
CostTemporary registrations cost a portion of the yearly licensing fees, as follows:
- 30-day temporary: 10% of yearly fee plus $5.00 fee
- 60-day temporary: 20% of yearly fee plus $5.00 fee
- 90-day temporary: 30% of yearly fee plus $5.00 fee